Welcome to my Musings

Welcome to my blog. This is the first time I have really tried to do this seriously. I need to be able to document my thoughts about things in the world. A few people have suggested that I try using this medium. I likely won't write everyday, but when something is important to me, so that might be several times per week. We'll see how it goes. Who knows, I may decide that I have something worthwhile to say everyday.

Tell me what you think about what I'm saying. Let me know if you see a hole in what I'm saying. All I ask is that you are nice about it. Enjoy!

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

My Olympic Experience

Actually written Feb. 26, 2010

Well, here we are, almost at the end of what was going to be a relaxing 2 weeks for me. Cuz i wasn't going to go anywhere near downtown. But i caught the fever. I played into their hand. I am weak. I've always loved the Olympics and honestly, the first thing i thought of when i heard that we were going to have them here, i thought about volunteering, or if i could afford tix to any of the figure skating.

But then after hearing the other side, my social conscience kicked in and I decided that it was wrong for Vancouver to be hosting these Games. I have maintained that stance all of these years. I still maintain that belief. I don't think that Vancouver could afford to do this, but they did, even though there was a referendum and a majority of citizens voted against it.

So British Columbia gave money to build stuff. There may even be some federal money pumped in there. Vancouver built a lot of stuff. Richmond built some stuff too. We are on the hook for billions of dollars. But now the Games are here, and it's about the athletes who have worked so hard for their shining moment(s). I've been very proud of all of the athletes. Here's how i see it. If you're a good enough athlete to qualify to go to the Olympics you should be very proud of yourself. If you improve your performance/time, that's really great. If you get a medal of any colour, that is awesome! If you get a Gold medal, that is the icing on the cake.

I haven't been to any actual sport events, but i've watched a lot on tv and am learning more about hockey and enjoying it. Sure, it would be cool to be able to say that i was at an event where Canada won a medal, but i've watched a lot of medal-winning performances, and got a great view of the athletes.

No comments:

Post a Comment